ALL ABOUT CLAT
Last updated 16-10-2020
What is CLAT?
CLAT stands for Common Law Admission Test. Hence, it is a national graduate level law examination. National Law Universities across the country (NLUs) conduct CLAT on an annual basis. This exam admits students to the NLU’s undergraduate and postgraduate law programmes. Examples of their best law programmes are BA LLB, B.Com LLB, and B.Sc LLB.
Some additional information and features of the CLAT exam is as follows:
• Moreover, CLAT is an annual online examination.
• 19 National Law Universities (NLUs) are the participating institutes.
• The total number of seats it offers for the postgraduate programmes are 624.
• National University of Advanced Legal Studies Kochi (NUALS Kochi) is the conducting authority for CLAT 2018.
• CLAT also offers a total number of 2400 for its undergraduate programme.
• In the year 2016, over 45,000 students have applied for CLAT but only 37,000 students appeared for the exam.
• Finally, the test comprises of 200 objective type questions.
• There are 40,000 (approximately) CLAT test takes for the UG programmes and 5,500 (approximately) CLAT test takers for the PG programmes.
Importance of CLAT Preparation
Like every other competitive exam, CLAT has a remarkably high demand. Moreover, with the desire to get admission in one of the best NLUs, students work very hard. The determination power is on a full charge and they are willing to compromise on anything for their seat.
Furthermore, in a world where 0.75% differentiates the ranks. And where over 15-20 candidates secure a score of 425 out of 650 in competitive exams, the competition is high. Because the extreme demand for a professional degree is commendable.
Keeping the above in mind, CLAT preparation is very important. If you wish to see yourself enter a law course in some of the best NLUs, then CLAT preparation is mandatory. By preparation, we do not mean mediocre preparation. To secure yourself a law seat, the preparation should be such that you are leading the race. With over 50,000 to 75,000 students registering, the very thought of an NLU law seat is daunting. Receiving emotional, psychological and physical preparation for the CLAT exam is very crucial. Being patient, together and being able to hold on to your concentration for long durations of time can land you in some of the best NLUs in the country.
How to prepare for CLAT 2018?
It is important to learn some preparation tips and strategies that have always proven to help. These strategies are highly recommended to students who are and aren’t undergoing full-time preparation courses. If you correctly apply these tips and strategies together, you are bound to make it all the way!
Following are the steps to
• Understand the syllabus distribution
• Focus on Legal Aptitude
• Do not neglect English
• Write and analyse many mock and sample tests
• Do not skip on reading newspapers and other sources of static general knowledge
• Remember that all questions carry the same marks. Therefore, wise question selection is of paramount importance
• Also learn to make it a habit to read more articles, books, magazines and papers to enhance your language and vocabulary
• Go through NCERT Mathematics books for class 9 and class 10 to equip yourself with the best concepts.
• Give equal attention to all sections of the CLAT exam.
• Eat healthily, exercise to work the blood and nerves and sleep well!
• Be optimistic and chart out an effective and suitable study plan
• Always revise and study that particular day’s topics covered in class.
• Always allot equal time for all sections every day. You don’t want to study a lot of Legal Aptitude and compromise on learning Logical Reasoning. Practising every day can get you to your goal.
Tips To Crack CLAT Exam Without Coaching
Mentioned above are some of the most generally accepted tips on cracking the CLAT 2018. Those tips can come handy to those students who have help from coaching and students who wish to do it independently.
However, mentioned below are some very helpful tips that will help you crack the CLAT exam without coaching.
Know all you need to know about the CLAT Exam.
Know the CLAT exam syllabus and exam pattern. The syllabus and pattern change with every year and hence is important to do your homework on it. Research and gather right information regarding the minute details of the CLAT exam. Remember to note it down and study it as well.
Do not compromise on the CLAT study materials.
Make sure to get yourself some of the best CLAT study materials that there is. These books will also ensure optimum preparation.
Practice is never enough.
For an exam like CLAT, practice is never enough. If you think that you have prepared for every section, then prepare some more. Solve another sample paper or take up another mock test. But do not stop preparing because you think that you have practised well and are ready for the exam.
Most importantly, enjoy your preparation.
It is important to genuinely enjoy your CLAT exam preparation. No one likes to be forced into doing something that they do not enjoy. However, preparing for an exam can be frustrating and unfruitful if you are not enjoying every moment of it. It is also equally important to be able to have a broad mind to learn new concepts. A broad mind can help grasp new concepts and work its application as well.
Analyze the CLAT exam pattern.
The CLAT exam pattern changed every year and therefore it is crucial to stay up to date with the recent pattern changes. Analyzing the exam pattern will give you an edge because you will be aware of the questions. You will be able to distinguish between your strong attempts and weak ones without wasting precious time.